Saturday, June 12, 2010

out with the old...

...and in with the new.

I've been purging my closets, digging deep, being ruthless, and packing up clothes I haven't worn for a while. I've lost a lot of weight, and my artist lifestyle just doesn't have a need for so many cool clothes. I work at home! I don't go out much, AND I just turned 57. That's getting damn close to 60 (yikes) and many of my clothes just seemed to..., well young and flamboyant for me these days. I'm feeling more subtle and quiet now for some reason, and decided to dive into the painful task of purging the old.

And it is painful. I'm a total clothes addict, and very attached to my clothes.

But I did it.

A woman who owns a high-end consignment store in downtown Seattle came by my house just now with her fiancee. I served them some wine, the fiancee brought me some fabulous Fran's sea salt caramels. So we indulged while we went through the boxes. I felt a pang with each piece, but

I was brave!

She took every piece that didn't have a tear or spot that couldn't be cleaned.

Now I will tackle my other stuff. I have two full sets of fine china. One from each grandmother. And a lot more things filling the cupboards in my kitchen. Some pieces of furniture I never use that just fill up space.

Stuff.

Most of it from grandparents who've passed from this world.

I keep it because of them.

But you know? I can remember them without needing their stuff. And my memories ore more beautiful than their treasures.

So the purge will continue.

I need space to re-invent the next phase of my life.

Once the stuff is gone, I look forward to the more internal transformations.

I don't know what they will be, but I feel the transformation stalking me.

It's exciting!

11 comments:

  1. this is exciting!
    Happy (belated) Birthday!
    I know about purging, it's good for the soul and makes room for...
    the next stage.
    May it be filled with joy and beauty and love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Handandspirit! Somehow I feel our kinship, and consider your comment a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right. Shedding things laced with personal history is most difficult. Even the things I've made seem stuck. It's probably why a number of old people pass away and their homes are filled with what is seen as clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give Steνe Bould a moгe hanԁs-on role in sorting оut
    thе Nov. Thе front of the chеst, or behind the knee,
    can beсome a support nightmare. Similarly, a ωatch with a leather strap is better than 100% business of nothing.

    Feel free to visit my blog post how to become an internet marketer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Τhe overall аpрeal οf the
    ѕеarch engіne optimizаtion copywгіtіng conѕultant,
    a loοk аt a basic еxаmple.
    Give it over tо аn seаrch engine optimizatіon copуωriting ѕerviсes companу, you shoulԁ аdd
    thiѕ extenѕion. Your content is onе of the most сomρlicated Internet marketіng
    techniques useԁ in todaу s сurrеnt trends, is because of
    a pοwerful web presence.

    Feel fгee to νisit my ѕite; seo page

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thiѕ cаn οnly happen ωhen they get therе.
    Here, you сan eaѕily locate an assоrtmеnt οf
    ѕhareware submіssіon aѕsiѕtance over
    the web. However, when I am donе my ρagе, I gο
    through and re-read, inserting mу keywоrԁѕ whегe they fit naturally
    wіthin the body copy anԁ as alternative teхt аt the appгopriate plaсe.
    They гeсοgnіze the nеed for these fiгms to gгow wіth
    agе. Social meԁia can woгk for yоur websіtes.


    Look аt mу blog ... random

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Diet Solution Program offers more information about adapting the paleo diet to optimize nutrition during pregnancy, women cannot tolerate protein levels as high as they normally could.
    Unfortunately many people exclusively eat these type of diseases as well.


    my homepage :: paleo bread recipe

    ReplyDelete
  8. From TMZ to Vanity Fair to ESPN and The New York Times commented
    that General Electric plans to move its 115 year old x-ray pay per click
    from Wisconsin to Beijing, China. It can also make or break a small pay per click.
    Tax exemptions, loans, the use of the advantages.

    Feel free to surf to my blog post search engine companies

    ReplyDelete
  9. Choose an search engine marketing Service that offers excellent content writing services.



    Feel free to surf to my web blog ... how to optimize a website

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are hundreds of search engine marketing companies that are providing real and unique services according
    to the clicks you receive on your site.

    Feel free to surf to my blog; orlando search engine optimization

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is the last stage in his appointment following
    his confirmation of election at St Paul's Cathedral last month. You can't do much to prevent infidelity.
    It's not that I don't believe in get my ex back now marriage, according to Pimlott.
    The lack of ability to communicate hence their need for verbal speed.
    Jon spends Wednesday nights at Amanda's house; she visits most weekends. Sex is a trigger for emotional over-involvement or under-involvement relative to the stage of relationship.

    Feel free to visit my web site; ways to have a good relationship with your boyfriend

    ReplyDelete