Sunday, January 9, 2011

testing, testing...

is this on?

No, that's not really what I mean.

I tested a few things I'm working for my new line today that I had prepped before.

Some promising, some not so much. But that's the process. Process of elimination, process of following.

I'm going to be SO glad when I finally get my computer system working well.

In the meantime, I'm working on RED! It's a small line that we are doing at a great price for my wonderful galleries to offer their customers for Valentines Day.

So I'm breaking my cardinal rule that I don't touch a single thing that is part of my past work during this creative retreat.

But with all the computer nonsense of the past, what? week and a half? two weeks? I am setting the new work aside in order to finish this project. So that,

When I get my new computer, and my replacement printer gets here I can get back to the new stuff uninterrupted.

That's the plan.

I've pretty much decided I have to surrender to getting a new computer. I can't afford it. But I can't afford not to have new work for this next year either. And I did get an unexpected order today that will almost pay for it. And after a new hard drive, a new back-up drive, a new keyboard, dumping tons of stuff off my current computer (a 5 year old MacBook that was the smallest and cheapest at the time I bought it) to free up more memory, shutting down all other programs... Photoshop still won't work without hanging up, quitting without permission, and me losing whatever I'd been working on for the past 15 minutes or 5 hours.

I wanted to limp along with it until the proverbial cash flow was better, but it's not working.

I'm going to get a desktop. They are cheaper, and I have this little laptop for when I travel.

A nice story: the Fed Ex courier (who I gave my (new/old) printer to) checked out this blog and read that the printer he delivered to me was defective and I was stressed about my time crunch. He e-mailed me to tell me I could take the old one back if I needed. Wow. How thoughtful and considerate was that? People are good. And whenever people are good, and kind, and thoughtful it makes me happy, and feel more hope for this world. Thanks Curtis!

So. I guess that's all for now from me, the Very Glamorous Artist, living a Very Glamorous Life!

And so tomorrow is going to be: finishing most of the RED! collection and likely buying a new computer. And leaving this one there overnight so they can transfer all the data so I don't mess it up and need to make yet another trip to the store. Is it 11 trips now, or or is it my 12th?

Who cares. It's better to think forward, and just deal with the bumps in the road as they come up.

And now, once again, it's off to dreamland.

I'll share more of my glamorous life tomorrow I suspect.

In the meantime: ride those waves, baby!

2 comments:

  1. To paraphrase from...somewhere. Very glamorous, depending on your definition of very glamorous. Wishing fewer bumps, or none at all...how would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooooo... No bumps would be delightful! At least for a while.
    Yeah, I think glamour exists only in the imagination of those who believe in it. actually. I mean, glamour, from the other side, is still hard work. Just perceived otherwise. Perhaps because it seems a little different and mysterious. (typing on my phone so can't be particularly articulate).

    ReplyDelete